SIT’s Zero Fees Scheme allows:
- New Zealand citizens
- New Zealand residents/permanent residents living in New Zealand during their study
- Australian citizens residing in New Zealand during their study
the opportunity to study approved programmes without paying tuition fees.
The Zero Fees Scheme applies only to the base tuition fee attached to each eligible programme of study. Direct Material Costs apply. Direct material costs are course specific costs, for example: uniform, texts, tools, activities and NZQA charges. Direct material fees (and programme fees in the case of a student’s Zero Fees status being withdrawn) are payable before commencement of a course, and may be paid by the student or via StudyLink (eg. Student Loan).
For international fees, including Zero Fees English, click here.
Most programmes SIT offer are eligible for the Zero Fees Scheme. Programmes must be:
- Tertiary Education Commission funded
- of 12 or more weeks in duration
- studied either full time or part time
- leading to a national or local qualification.
Zero Fees terms and conditions
In order to retain Zero Fees Scheme eligibility, students must:
- Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress as defined in the course requirements
- Maintain satisfactory attendance - at least 80%
- Adhere to the programme's specific rules and requirements
- Adhere to SIT’s Student Code of Conduct
Although not foreseen, SIT is unable to guarantee ongoing Zero Fees provision should for any reason present funding arrangements and/or Government policies be reviewed.
SIT’s refund policy for domestic students is available here.
SIT policy on charging GST to Non-residents undertaking SIT2LRN programmes of study
SIT2LRN offer internet platform based training programmes which may attract students based offshore. In order for us to Zero Rate the Fee, we have to ensure that the student is offshore for the whole duration of the paper or programme. SIT is not able to set up a robust system to monitor such an activity and do not consider this our core business. Therefore GST will be charged on all fees unless the student wishes to be specifically designated as an International Student in which case the Zero Fees Scheme will not apply. Should a student wish to enrol as an International Student through SIT2LRN the International Fee will be NZ$100 per credit (GST Zero Rated).