Click a title below to see more information about that course.
Part time - Three day course
9am - 2pm
This programme aims to provide a basic understanding of practises that result in safe food handling. It is for all people working, or preparing to work, in a food business.
Note: Zero Fees Scheme does not apply to this programme
Two years full-time
THIS COURSE IS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY.
The purpose of this qualification is:
- To provide competent employees for the hospitality sector who are able to work as chefs in senior positions producing advanced dishes in a professional kitchen.
- To provide for those individuals who are employed as chefs in senior positions, a credential that will enhance their employment opportunities in a professional kitchen across the hospitality sector.
- To establish standards of professional practice for advanced cookery that can provide customers with confidence in a range of hospitality environments.
This strand in the qualification will allow graduates to have advanced general cookery skills.
One year full-time
The course will cover the advanced cookery skills required in the hospitality industry, including the skills needed to design menus based on nutritional principles, portion control and commercial food costings.
Students will acquire the skills needed for working and supervising to a senior level in a commercial kitchen.
This two day programme covers the unit standards required to gain the Licence Controller Qualification. It is compulsory to hold this qualification if applying for the General Managers Certificate, and is important for people working or intending to work in a supervisory role in a licenced premises.
41 weeks full-time
Following on from the NZ Certificate in Cookery (Level 3), this Level 4 programme allows the enhancement and further development of students' culinary skills.
SIT's classrooms are well equipped and the tutors are very passionate about their craft. Students operate the Bungalow Restaurant on campus for several periods during the year and are encouraged to enter national culinary arts competitions.
This training will help develop the flair and creativity in the culinary arts deemed necessary to gain employment in this exciting and dynamic industry.
On completion of the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4), graduates will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Apply cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of cold larder dishes, hot kitchen dishes, and patisserie and desserts, employing complex preparation and presentation techniques
- Monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety, and security practices, to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers
- Monitor and maintain interactions between colleagues, managers, and customers
- Monitor and maintain the application of standard operating policies and procedures to work roles in a commercial kitchen
15 weeks full-time
The NZ Certificate in Food and Beverage Service focuses on delivering the core skills required for anyone wanting to make a career, or secure seasonal employment, delivering hospitality services, products and experiences to customers.
Gain the skills you need to become a valued member of a café, restaurant or functions team. You'll learn to prepare food and beverages offered at cafés and functions and develop the professional communication skills to serve customers and deal with any customer service issues. You'll also learn to work safely and to regulations in hospitality environments and when handling food.
SIT's training facilities are well equipped and the tutors are very passionate about their craft. At SIT you will get the advantage of real-world experience as you operate the Vault Cafe and Bungalow Restaurant (alongside Cookery students) for several periods during the year.
17 weeks full-time
SIT's School of Hospitality offers professional level training for those who aspire to beome chefs within the hospitality industry.
This programme will develop your knowledge and culinary skills and help develop the necessary flair and creativity in the culinary arts to gain employment in this exciting and dynamic industry.
On completion of the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3), graduates will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Apply fundamental cookery skills to prepare, cook, and present a range of basic dishes employing commodities commonly used in industry
- Follow standard operating procedures to deal with familiar problems in a commercial kitchen
- Apply health and safety, food safety, and security practices to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers
- Communicate effectively and behave in a professional manner with colleagues, managers, and customers
21 hours - over three days
This course gives students an appreciation of coffee. The course provides information on the history and evolution of coffee and espresso technology for today's café society. It is targeted towards those interested in the barista field, plus those currently within the industry who wish to upskill.
This programme aims to provide people working in the hospitality industry with education in the art of making and serving coffee.
Leading towards: Tourism Hospitality, Certificate in Professional Cookery. Students will need to bring a white crewneck t-shirt, black trousers and leather covered-in shoes, preferably black. No jewellery is to be worn and long hair must be tied back.
The students will practice their skills in our Bungalow Restaurant and Vault Café, which are the training restaurants on-campus. Students will need to bring a white crew neck t-shirt, black trousers and leather covered in shoes, preferably black. No jewellery is to be worn and long hair must be tied back.