The MacDiarmid Institute is delighted to announce the continued funding of its Discovery Scholarship Programme, for Māori and Pasifika students in tertiary science. This is an extension of our long running DiscoveryCamp programme, to support students studying in the physical sciences, chemical/materials engineering, Māori sciences or sciences related to sustainable innovation.
The scholarships will pay university fees up to $8,000 for the 2021 academic year, and a one-off cash award of up to $3,000. The Institute welcomes applications from all Māori and Pasifika students from all backgrounds and abilities, and will award a number of scholarships at each year of undergraduate study, Honours/PgDipSci, and Masters study. Students who are studying part time are also encouraged to apply. In addition to the financial award, Discovery Scholars will be eligible for the same kinds of ongoing support as our current DiscoveryCamp Alumni cohort, such as summer studentships and access to a range of MacDiarmid Institute events
• Te Kainga Rua Award - Second Chance Learner Award - This category is for mature students either returning to tertiary education after having some time away or those that are undertaking tertiary courses for the first time. If you are passionate about the natural sciences or you wish to return to tertiary studies and would like help with reaching your goals and potential, we encourage you to apply.
• Piki Ake Award - Step It Up Award - This category is for students who are passionate about science but have found it challenging to achieve highly. This award is to help enthusiastic students reach their potential and step up into achieving.
• Te Taumata Award - High Achiever Award - This category is for students who have excelled in their studies and are looking toward continuing their study in the field.
• Te Mātauranga Pūtaiao Award - High Achiever in Māori Science Award - This category is for students who have excelled in Mātauranga Māori Science and are looking toward continuing their study in the field.
• Te Huarahi Ki Mua Award - This category is for students who have been previous recipients of a Discovery Scholarship Award and are continuing their study in a relevant field (This is the only award previous recipients will be eligible to apply for).
• Students enrolled or intended to enrol in a tertiary-level STEM course(s) that relates to the physical sciences, chemical/materials engineering, Māori sciences or sciences related to sustainable innovation
• Enrolled or intending to enrol for the 2021 academic year
• New Zealand-based
• A citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
Please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MI-Discovery-Scholarships-2021 and submit your application. You will need to provide your personal details along with:
• Details of your enrolment (or intention to enrol) in tertiary science courses in 2021
• Your CV including a summary of your previous academic record (previous year’s results) we understand this may not be available for those applying for the Te Kainga Rua Award
• Your application statement outlining the award you will be applying for, your study goals and programme of study in New Zealand
• Your letter of reference. This may be either academic or from someone in your community who can comment on your study goals.
• Your academic transcript
If you have any questions at all, please contact the MacDiarmid Institute (email@example.com).