For students who are mothers, demonstrating commitment and ambition
This scholarship recognises the importance and difficulty of women achieving education for career goals while also actively parenting, and the positive impact this achievement will have on their family and community. It also recognises the financial hardship that studying will incur due to childcare, and lost income.
What are the Requirements?
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be undertaking a recognised trade cert. apprenticeship, diploma, degree or post-grad papers at an accredited university/college/institute.
- Enrolled in at least the second year of a recognised qualification from a recognised education provider at the time the application is submitted to the Zonta Club of Invercargill.
- Applicants must still be attending the course at the time the scholarship funds are disbursed to receive this scholarship.
- Must submit verification of current enrolment. Acceptance letters are not verification.
- Demonstrate initiative, ambition and commitment to pursuing a career.
- Achieving a sound academic record that indicates your suitability for this career.
- Primary parent of a child or children less than 15 years of age.
- Currently living in Southland.
How do I apply?
To complete an official application write a cover letter stating your name, the scholarship you are applying for, your age, number and ages of children, and contact information: address and cell phone number.
Then attach the following:
- Essay of 500 words or less that clearly describes:
- your academic and career goals,
- demonstrates your initiative, ambition and commitment to pursuing a career,
- and defines how the scholarship will assist you in reaching your goals
- a recommendation from the education provider that you are studying in
- a recommendation from an employer or volunteer supervisor
- verification of current enrolment in a tertiary education programme
- an official transcript of grades
- copies of birth certificates for children under the age of 15
Applications that are incomplete or late will not be considered. Applications by email are preferred
and must be signed and sent as a PDF.
What is the Application Process?
Applications will be submitted by email to: Invercargill Zonta email address.
Closing date for applications is 30 June 2023.
The Invercargill Zonta Club Scholarship committee will consider applications and select the awardee. Applicants will be informed of the decision by the Scholarship Committee in August. The successful recipient will receive her scholarship at the nearest club meeting following.
How May I Use the Scholarship Funds?
The scholarship may be used for any expenses that support the achievement of the course being undertaken.