The Youth Guarantee Scheme is an initiative allowing SIT to provide free training to successful candidates in the courses below.
Am I eligible?
The Youth Guarantee Scheme is open to all students who:
- Are finding school is not for them and have an interest in training towards a career
- Want to enrol for full-time study for at least a year
- Are aged 16 or 17 at the start of the course
Note: Students who have achieved NCEA Level 2 are not eligible for the Youth Guarantee Scheme if they wish to study Level 2 courses such as Automotive Engineering or Automotive Heavy Trades.
What courses can I enrol in?
Full year certificate-level courses are available in the following subjects:
- Automotive Engineering
- Automotive Heavy Trades
- Automotive Engineering
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Electrical Trade Skills
Note: Other subjects may be available dependent on funding and demand.
Benefits to Students
- FREE education
- Individual academic guidance, support and pastoral care available
- Regular student liaison contact available
- Career advice and goal setting
- Individuals progress is monitored and assistance given where necessary
- Numeracy and literacy support
- Access to student support services
Fees and Allowances
The Youth Guarantee Scheme will cover all tuition fees, material and equipments costs for one year.
Important to note: Students enrolled under the Youth Guarantee Scheme will not be eligible for student loans, but can apply for a student allowance through StudyLink.
How do I apply?
- Please complete an SIT Enrolment Form (available from SIT’s campus, website, or by phoning 0800 40 3337).
- SIT will acknowledge your application in writing.
- You will be advised if you are required to attend an interview and/or supply additional details.
- SIT will select the successful applicants and contact you to confirm the outcome.
- Successful applicants will be sent an enrolment form which you need to complete and return.
- You will then be ready to start your studies!
Be in quick! SIT has a limited number of spaces available on the Youth Guarantee Scheme, therefore it is important that applications are received as early as possible before your course begins.
Where can I find more information?
For more information about this scholarship and courses offered by SIT, please contact our youth guarantee coordinator Shannon Thomson on (03) 211 2699 ext 8670 or email email@example.com.
For more information about the Youth Guarantee Scheme, visit the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) website: www.tec.govt.nz.